This course is ran by the UK Institute of Translation and Interpreting. Please check the ITI website for up-to-date details.
Advancing your Freelance Translation Career
Advancing your Freelance Translation Career is aimed at translators who have been freelancing for some time and want to focus on finding premium work with high-quality agencies and direct clients.
Discover how to identify your differences to give you a competitive advantage. Define your ideal client base and learn how to fine tune your sales techniques. Uncover new ways to build and maintain customer relationships. Having learnt the theory from the experts, you will then go on to test your ability in a live situation, being given the opportunity to pitch yourself directly to an actual client.
Tutors and Schedule
The tutor dates and times are as follows: (Please check the ITI website for up-to-date details)
Judy Jenner – Friday 14 September 2018 4 pm and Friday 21 September 2018 4 pm (GMT)
Tess Whitty – Friday 28 September 2018 3 pm and Monday 8 October 2018 3 pm (GMT)
Doug Lawrence – Friday 12 October 2018 2 pm and Friday 19 October 2018 2 pm (GMT)
Sara Freitas – Friday 2 November 2018 1 pm and Friday 16 November 2018 1 pm (GMT)
Client – TBA
All webinars are recorded, so if you can’t attend a session you will be emailed a link to the recording, which you can listen to at your convenience.
The ITI website has more information about individual tutors.
Judy will cover:
- Think of yourself as a customer
- Defining your services
- Contributing value and solving customer problems
- Think of yourself as an entrepreneur
- Your strengths and weaknesses
- Finding your competitive advantage
Tess will cover:
- How to analyse your current client base
- Defining your ideal client and creating a customer avatar
- How to find your ideal clients
- How to develop a mutually beneficial relationship
- Using your current client base for referrals and recommendations
- Creating a customer database with valuable information
- How to follow up regularly, asking for feedback and grow your business
Doug will cover:
- Asking and answering the right questions
- Adopting sales techniques that work for you
- Winning the type of clients and work you want
- Winning more work from existing clients
- Creating an international online presence
Sara will cover:
- Busting myths about business networking
- What networking is and is not
- Basic networking tools
- Networking events
- A system for managing your contacts
- Nurturing relationships with current clients
The course costs £299 for ITI members and £399 for Non Members. Please check the ITI website for up to date details.
Book a course/training
To book please complete the the ITI application form and email to Ann Brooks on email@example.com
Any questions please contact Ann Brooks, Professional Development Officer.
This course is delivered in English. All participants will receive the course notes as a PDF.